Wednesday, May 17, 2006

A beginning

Welcome to the blog.

The main purpose of this exercise is to describe to you my experience of switching over from a Windows XP computer to a OpenSUSE computer. I'll also throw in some stuff happening in my life or comment on the news and such. Maybe a few jokes, maybe not, I haven't decided yet. This will be a work in progress. I hope to inform and hopefully entertain you.

Within the next few days, maybe weeks, I'll install OpenSUSE 10.1 on my computer. I expect to have a dual boot computer, I need a safety blanket, so I am going to keep Windows XP on another partition, just in case!

I have about 110 gigs of my hard drives filled up with files. Tonight I'll start backing up this data, when I'm done I'll do the dual install.

At this point I still haven't decided if I'll go with KDE or Gnome. Apparently switching from Windows is easier with KDE and switching from Apple is easier with Gnome. I don't know if I'll take the "easy" way or the more complicated route.

Well I guess that's it for the first post, I hope that you the reader will keep coming back and see the progress or the mishaps I am making.

No comments: